Saturday, July 9, 2011

Malaysia vs United States of America

As I mentioned in my previous blog post, I encountered "culture shock" once I landed on this land. It's not a very serious one though and I could adapt to it pretty fast. Just to share some of them with all of you:


1. Language

The first thing that I was not used to was the language. Coming from a non-English speaking country, overcoming the language barrier can be very difficult at times although I was taught English since I was 5 years old. I was never good in that language until my high school time, although I'm still not proficient in English until now. For my first semester here, I was struggling through lectures especially a math class which was taught by a Mexican professor with the Mexican accent. I could hardly understand what the professor taught in class. Luckily I was able to catch up later in the semester after attending a few office hours. Also, a friend of mine told me a funny conversation that happened when he was working. The conversation went like this:


(A being the supervisor, B being my friend)

A: Hi B, how late are you working till?

B: *stunned for a few seconds* Good! (because he thought the supervisor was asking him how his work is so far)

A: uhhh?

B: Sorry! What did you say?

A: I mean you work until what time?

B: Ohhhhhhhh!

That was a pretty awkward moment. It shows that how important it is to overcome the language barrier.


2. Friendliness of people


People here are just very friendly! They will greet you whenever they see you although it's just a simple line "How are you?" I could feel the warmth. :) This culture is totally different from what's in Malaysia. Not to say Malaysians are not friendly, but the way the Americans treat their friends or guests or even someone whom they just know is just not the same. Perhaps the Malaysians should learn more of this culture.


3. Greetings


One thing that I'm still not used to is the way the students address their professors. In my own culture, it's considered disrespectful to address someone elder than us by name without any prefix. For example, since preschool to high school, I was always taught to address the teachers by Mr., Ms. or Madam so-and-so and they always go by their last name. However, since my first semester here, classmates have been calling the professors by their names and their conversations are just like the conversations between friends. "Whassup Enrique? I do not know how to solve this homework problem." I totally understand that professors here are just trying to create the kind of close relationship with the students. But that just seems weird to me. I guess I have to get used to it soon and start calling Ms. Griffiths by Brett (hope you don't mind). :p


4. Tipping


There is definitely no such thing as tips in my home country. In Malaysia, giving tips are always stereotyped as an act by the rich. When I first came to know that we have to pay for tips on top of the bill with tax, I was kind of shocked. My friend also told me that there are some restaurants/shops that don't need tipping. For the first week here, I kept asking my friend if we have to give tips for this restaurant and that restaurant as my friend told me that there was once he forgot to tip and the boss was like going to chase him out of the restaurant. Of course, I do not want to embarrass myself.



5. Road manners


In Malaysia, you have to be really careful when crossing the roads. Sometimes, even the lights for pedestrians to cross are on, you still have to wait for the cars to fully stop. For junctions where there is no light for pedestrian, you have to wait like forever to cross a busy street. Here in the U.S., pedestrians are always prioritized. Cars stop at every junction. Usually, I can just cross the road without having to care so much about the vehicles on the road.


6. Driver seats and some traffic laws


When I first arrived here for the first few days, I was always shocked by the sight that there is no one on the driver seat while the car was moving because I was so used to seeing the driver seats on the right back in Malaysia. Some of the cars' number plates are at the rear side of the car only which seems odd to me. Other than that, I was surprised to know that we have to register our bike and wear a helmet when cycling in other states (not sure about Michigan state though). Also, in the U.S., vehicles are moving on the right hand side of the road but in Malaysia, it's totally opposite. Because of this change, instead of looking right, left, right, I have to look at left, right and left before crossing the street.


7. Fans


The first thing I realized when I reached my apartment is that there is no ceiling fan or any kind of fan at all. (It's so hot during the summer! :( )I guess this applies only to Michigan State. I went to other states and they do have ceiling fans or fans that are attached on the wall.



So that is pretty much of them. Culture shocks can be really "shocked" at times, but well, they are great experience and sweet memories too. So fellow readers, do share some of the culture shocks that you encountered before, like the ones that you encountered when you first arrived here as an international student or something that you had when traveling abroad!

No comments:

Post a Comment