Sunday, August 7, 2011

A picture speaks a thousand words

To me, pictures are always a tool to express my thoughts and my feeling which cannot be described in words. That's why I love to take photos, even photos of some trivial things. My friends always laugh at me that I could take a few same pictures of the same things, even just a cup. :P Nevertheless, they are not the same to me and every angle of the cup meant something to me. It depends on how you interpret/analyze it.

Here I inserted a few pictures that I found in National Geographic website, where life is described in four colors: orange, red, green, and yellow. The following are my own ways of interpreting the pictures. You may describe them in your own way.


(Source: nationalgeographic.com)

How would you interpret this picture?

My interpretation: A sailboat is floating freely on an ocean (not lake?) and it's near sunset (not sunrise?). Life is uncertain and we do not know where we would land on with the sailboat. The destination of life seems to be far away from sight.



(Source: nationalgeographic.com)

What about this?

My interpretation: This seems to be the beginning of Spring season and the maple leaves are starting to grow. This represents another stage of life is coming after a harsh one (Winter) and a new hope is rising.


(Source: nationalgeographic.com)

What can you say about this picture?

My interpretation: The worker is collecting tea leaves under the rain. (I assume the white dots on the pictures as raindrops and the plant is tealeaf because I know of a place back in my home where the tea leaf is planted in this way.) Life is never easy as what the saying goes, "No pain no gain." We have to work and pay effort in gaining what we want.


(Source: nationalgeographic.com)

My interpretation: Leaves are falling and it symbolizes the beginning of Fall season. It also symbolizes a brand new life is coming and we should be prepared for any obstacle in front of us.

Somehow, I think these interpretations on photos are related to the genre analysis in writing as we will have different opinions on different genres, depending on how we look at it. Sometimes, we tend to be biased towards one side and we never think in the shoes of someone else. However, bias is not a bad thing, as said by the instructor in class. In fact, bias is necessary in writing a paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment